Jayalalithaa DA case: Special Court Judge visits RBI treasury
Chennai: A Special court judge from Karnataka on Monday visited the regional office of Reserve Bank of India here in connection with the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Special judge John Michael D`Cunha visited the RBI treasury here, where valuables in connection with the case are being kept, police sources said.
The Special Court in Bangalore, trying the Rs 66.65 crore disproportionate assets case against Jayalalithaa, had allowed a plea by DMK General Secretary K Anbazhagan seeking physical production of valuables and other assets seized from her in 1997.
Special Court Judge D`Cunha ordered the transit of the seized material from Chennai to Bangalore, observing that it was required for giving fair justice. The seized material is deposited in an RBI treasury here.
In his application, Anbazhagan had pleaded that the court should take custody of 800 kg silver, 28 kg gold, 750 pairs of shoes, 10,500 sarees, 91 watches and other items that were seized during a raid in 1997 as evidence.
Jayalalithaa`s advocates, however, had labelled the plea as political vendetta and argued the physical production was not mandated under the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan
- Heart failure among the aged may triple by 2060
- Shahid Kapoor holding his newly born daughter is the cutest thing you will see today! – Pic inside