Jayalalithaa DA case: Special Court Judge visits RBI treasury
Chennai: A Special court judge from Karnataka on Monday visited the regional office of Reserve Bank of India here in connection with the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Special judge John Michael D`Cunha visited the RBI treasury here, where valuables in connection with the case are being kept, police sources said.
The Special Court in Bangalore, trying the Rs 66.65 crore disproportionate assets case against Jayalalithaa, had allowed a plea by DMK General Secretary K Anbazhagan seeking physical production of valuables and other assets seized from her in 1997.
Special Court Judge D`Cunha ordered the transit of the seized material from Chennai to Bangalore, observing that it was required for giving fair justice. The seized material is deposited in an RBI treasury here.
In his application, Anbazhagan had pleaded that the court should take custody of 800 kg silver, 28 kg gold, 750 pairs of shoes, 10,500 sarees, 91 watches and other items that were seized during a raid in 1997 as evidence.
Jayalalithaa`s advocates, however, had labelled the plea as political vendetta and argued the physical production was not mandated under the law.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi