Jayalalithaa defends crackdown on land grabbing
Tiruchirapalli: Hitting the campaign trail for
the October 13 Tiruchirapalli West assembly by election, Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday defended her
government`s crackdown on land grabbing, saying DMK had a
"tradition" of encroaching lands.
"All the wrongdoers are facing punishment and the state is
on its way to prosperity," she said in an apparent reference
to the arrests of several former DMK ministers and leaders.
Canvassing for her party candidate here, she said her
government had received 17,431 complaints, registered 718
cases and arrested 755 persons on charges of land grabbing.
Lands worth Rs 624.66 crore have been retrieved and
restored to their rightful owners, she said.
She alleged that KN Nehru, the DMK contestant for the
bypoll and now in prison after his arrest on charges of land
grabbing, was only "following the footsteps of his leader M
Karunanidhi, who was adept in land grabbing."
She charged the DMK with grabbing the lands of one
Thendanoorpettai Zameen under the ambit of Land Ceiling Act in
1972 to build Anna Arivalayam, the party`s headquarters in a
prime spot in Chennai.
"KN Nehru is only following the tradition and had grabbed
lease lands belonging to Wakf Board, to construct his party`s
district office here," she said.
She also said her government was taking measures to tackle
the power cut problem and by next year the state would be free
of power shutdown.
In the first acid test to the AIADMK after its landslide
victory in April 13 assembly election, the party`s nominee M
Paranjothi is pitted against Nehru in the by poll,necessitated
by the death of Mariam Pitchai.
Nehru had lost to Pitchai in the assembly polls.
Jayalalithaa also launched her campaign for October 17 and
19 local body polls, asking the electorate to vote for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you