Jayalalithaa defends crackdown on land grabbing
Tiruchirapalli: Hitting the campaign trail for
the October 13 Tiruchirapalli West assembly by election, Tamil
Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday defended her
government`s crackdown on land grabbing, saying DMK had a
"tradition" of encroaching lands.
"All the wrongdoers are facing punishment and the state is
on its way to prosperity," she said in an apparent reference
to the arrests of several former DMK ministers and leaders.
Canvassing for her party candidate here, she said her
government had received 17,431 complaints, registered 718
cases and arrested 755 persons on charges of land grabbing.
Lands worth Rs 624.66 crore have been retrieved and
restored to their rightful owners, she said.
She alleged that KN Nehru, the DMK contestant for the
bypoll and now in prison after his arrest on charges of land
grabbing, was only "following the footsteps of his leader M
Karunanidhi, who was adept in land grabbing."
She charged the DMK with grabbing the lands of one
Thendanoorpettai Zameen under the ambit of Land Ceiling Act in
1972 to build Anna Arivalayam, the party`s headquarters in a
prime spot in Chennai.
"KN Nehru is only following the tradition and had grabbed
lease lands belonging to Wakf Board, to construct his party`s
district office here," she said.
She also said her government was taking measures to tackle
the power cut problem and by next year the state would be free
of power shutdown.
In the first acid test to the AIADMK after its landslide
victory in April 13 assembly election, the party`s nominee M
Paranjothi is pitted against Nehru in the by poll,necessitated
by the death of Mariam Pitchai.
Nehru had lost to Pitchai in the assembly polls.
Jayalalithaa also launched her campaign for October 17 and
19 local body polls, asking the electorate to vote for the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow