Jayalalithaa demands chemical castration, death for rapists
Chennai: Even as the nation struggles to come to terms with the shocking gang-rape of a 23-year-old medical student in Delhi, Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday became the first state to initiate measures aimed at curbing rising cases of crimes against women.
As per reports, these measures were announced by state’s Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, while she extended her greetings to the people of the state on the first day of the New Year 2013.
In her message, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister said that more fast-track courts will be set up in all districts across the state for speedy disposal of cases related to crimes against women.
Similarly on the lines of Delhi, the Tamil Nadu government will also launch a helpline to help women in distress. Among other steps, Jayalalithaa said that more CCTV cameras will be installed at important places to identify criminals who harass women. Besides, police in civilian clothes will be deployed at places where women turn out in large numbers, she said.
"Sexual harassment against women will be considered as a grave crime and will be investigated under the supervision of the senior level police officers. Sexual harassment cases will be viewed by district SPs and range DIG on a monthly basis. All pending cases in court and investigations on sexual harassment and rape cases will be reviewed by top police officials and speed up the process to get justice," a statement by her office said.
In her New Year message, the Chief Minister and the ruling AIADMK chief also called for amendments in existing laws to allow chemical castration for rapists and demanded a death penalty for them.
The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister also assured full assistance to rape victims, saying the state government will bear their medical and other expenses.
The announcement from Tamil Nadu government comes at a time when the entire nation witnessed low-key celebrations to welcome New Year 2013 as a mark of respect to the 23-year-old Delhi braveheart, whose shocking gang-rape stirred the entire nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH
- ICSI Professional Programme Examination Result June 2016 declared; check icsi.edu, Company Secretaries (CS) Examination Results