Jayalalithaa demands chemical castration, death for rapists
Chennai: Even as the nation struggles to come to terms with the shocking gang-rape of a 23-year-old medical student in Delhi, Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday became the first state to initiate measures aimed at curbing rising cases of crimes against women.
As per reports, these measures were announced by state’s Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, while she extended her greetings to the people of the state on the first day of the New Year 2013.
In her message, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister said that more fast-track courts will be set up in all districts across the state for speedy disposal of cases related to crimes against women.
Similarly on the lines of Delhi, the Tamil Nadu government will also launch a helpline to help women in distress. Among other steps, Jayalalithaa said that more CCTV cameras will be installed at important places to identify criminals who harass women. Besides, police in civilian clothes will be deployed at places where women turn out in large numbers, she said.
"Sexual harassment against women will be considered as a grave crime and will be investigated under the supervision of the senior level police officers. Sexual harassment cases will be viewed by district SPs and range DIG on a monthly basis. All pending cases in court and investigations on sexual harassment and rape cases will be reviewed by top police officials and speed up the process to get justice," a statement by her office said.
In her New Year message, the Chief Minister and the ruling AIADMK chief also called for amendments in existing laws to allow chemical castration for rapists and demanded a death penalty for them.
The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister also assured full assistance to rape victims, saying the state government will bear their medical and other expenses.
The announcement from Tamil Nadu government comes at a time when the entire nation witnessed low-key celebrations to welcome New Year 2013 as a mark of respect to the 23-year-old Delhi braveheart, whose shocking gang-rape stirred the entire nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof