Jayalalithaa demands chemical castration, death for rapists
Chennai: Even as the nation struggles to come to terms with the shocking gang-rape of a 23-year-old medical student in Delhi, Tamil Nadu government on Tuesday became the first state to initiate measures aimed at curbing rising cases of crimes against women.
As per reports, these measures were announced by state’s Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, while she extended her greetings to the people of the state on the first day of the New Year 2013.
In her message, the Tamil Nadu Chief Minister said that more fast-track courts will be set up in all districts across the state for speedy disposal of cases related to crimes against women.
Similarly on the lines of Delhi, the Tamil Nadu government will also launch a helpline to help women in distress. Among other steps, Jayalalithaa said that more CCTV cameras will be installed at important places to identify criminals who harass women. Besides, police in civilian clothes will be deployed at places where women turn out in large numbers, she said.
"Sexual harassment against women will be considered as a grave crime and will be investigated under the supervision of the senior level police officers. Sexual harassment cases will be viewed by district SPs and range DIG on a monthly basis. All pending cases in court and investigations on sexual harassment and rape cases will be reviewed by top police officials and speed up the process to get justice," a statement by her office said.
In her New Year message, the Chief Minister and the ruling AIADMK chief also called for amendments in existing laws to allow chemical castration for rapists and demanded a death penalty for them.
The Tamil Nadu Chief Minister also assured full assistance to rape victims, saying the state government will bear their medical and other expenses.
The announcement from Tamil Nadu government comes at a time when the entire nation witnessed low-key celebrations to welcome New Year 2013 as a mark of respect to the 23-year-old Delhi braveheart, whose shocking gang-rape stirred the entire nation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015