Jayalalithaa gets two weeks reprieve in I-T case
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday got two weeks reprieve in the Income Tax cases against her as a local court adjourned the hearing till April 28 while ordering her to be present in person then.
Jayalalithaa did not appear in person before the court as ordered on April 03.
Her counsel filed a petition stating that a revision petition has been filed before the Madras High Court against the local court`s order for her personal appearance.
The defence counsel also told the court about the application filed in the Supreme Court to extend the time for completing the trial by the court hearing the case.
Meanwhile, Sasikala`s counsel submitted an undertaking that she would appear in person on April 28 before the court. Sasikala is Jayalalithaa`s companion.
The case is related to non-filing of tax returns by the AIADMK leader and Sasikala for the years 1991-92 and 1992-93.
In January, the Supreme Court had dismissed an appeal by Jayalalithaa for her discharge from the case and ordered the trial court to complete the proceedings within four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly