Jayalalithaa gets two weeks reprieve in I-T case
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday got two weeks reprieve in the Income Tax cases against her as a local court adjourned the hearing till April 28 while ordering her to be present in person then.
Jayalalithaa did not appear in person before the court as ordered on April 03.
Her counsel filed a petition stating that a revision petition has been filed before the Madras High Court against the local court`s order for her personal appearance.
The defence counsel also told the court about the application filed in the Supreme Court to extend the time for completing the trial by the court hearing the case.
Meanwhile, Sasikala`s counsel submitted an undertaking that she would appear in person on April 28 before the court. Sasikala is Jayalalithaa`s companion.
The case is related to non-filing of tax returns by the AIADMK leader and Sasikala for the years 1991-92 and 1992-93.
In January, the Supreme Court had dismissed an appeal by Jayalalithaa for her discharge from the case and ordered the trial court to complete the proceedings within four months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog