‘Jayalalithaa govt pursuing vendetta politics’
Chennai: Accusing the Jayalalithaa government of pursuing vendetta politics, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday criticised the arrest of two former Ministers, including Veerapandi S Arumugam.
"Power will come and go. This will be decided once in five years in a democratic way. Those in power should not forget that they will have to go to the people. The ruling AIADMK is indulging in vendetta", he said in a statement on the arrest of the two former DMK ministers.
The DMK leader said Arumugam was arrested in Chennai and taken to Salem. After the remand, he was again brought back here and lodged in a Chennai prison.
"Arumugam is a heart patient and undergoing treatment. Why this vendetta politics. Is it not misuse of power"? he asked.
Karunanidhi said he had tried to meet Arumugam yesterday but was told the meeting could be possible today.
He along with his son M K Stalin and some other party leaders wanted to meet him today but Arumugam was taken from the jail early this morning. It was not known whether he was taken either to Salem or Vellore jail, he said.
"At the time of the crime that was supposed to have happened in Salem, Arumugam was attending my birthday functions at Chennai", Karunanidhi said.
Arumugam, DMK`s strongman in Salem district, was arrested on Monday on land grabbing charges, while Periyasamy was arrested the same day at Koombur in Dindigul district on the charge of illegal gravel mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!