‘Jayalalithaa govt pursuing vendetta politics’
Chennai: Accusing the Jayalalithaa government of pursuing vendetta politics, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday criticised the arrest of two former Ministers, including Veerapandi S Arumugam.
"Power will come and go. This will be decided once in five years in a democratic way. Those in power should not forget that they will have to go to the people. The ruling AIADMK is indulging in vendetta", he said in a statement on the arrest of the two former DMK ministers.
The DMK leader said Arumugam was arrested in Chennai and taken to Salem. After the remand, he was again brought back here and lodged in a Chennai prison.
"Arumugam is a heart patient and undergoing treatment. Why this vendetta politics. Is it not misuse of power"? he asked.
Karunanidhi said he had tried to meet Arumugam yesterday but was told the meeting could be possible today.
He along with his son M K Stalin and some other party leaders wanted to meet him today but Arumugam was taken from the jail early this morning. It was not known whether he was taken either to Salem or Vellore jail, he said.
"At the time of the crime that was supposed to have happened in Salem, Arumugam was attending my birthday functions at Chennai", Karunanidhi said.
Arumugam, DMK`s strongman in Salem district, was arrested on Monday on land grabbing charges, while Periyasamy was arrested the same day at Koombur in Dindigul district on the charge of illegal gravel mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa
- Air ambulance crash lands in Delhi: This is how the pilot saved lives of passengers