‘Jayalalithaa govt pursuing vendetta politics’
Chennai: Accusing the Jayalalithaa government of pursuing vendetta politics, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday criticised the arrest of two former Ministers, including Veerapandi S Arumugam.
"Power will come and go. This will be decided once in five years in a democratic way. Those in power should not forget that they will have to go to the people. The ruling AIADMK is indulging in vendetta", he said in a statement on the arrest of the two former DMK ministers.
The DMK leader said Arumugam was arrested in Chennai and taken to Salem. After the remand, he was again brought back here and lodged in a Chennai prison.
"Arumugam is a heart patient and undergoing treatment. Why this vendetta politics. Is it not misuse of power"? he asked.
Karunanidhi said he had tried to meet Arumugam yesterday but was told the meeting could be possible today.
He along with his son M K Stalin and some other party leaders wanted to meet him today but Arumugam was taken from the jail early this morning. It was not known whether he was taken either to Salem or Vellore jail, he said.
"At the time of the crime that was supposed to have happened in Salem, Arumugam was attending my birthday functions at Chennai", Karunanidhi said.
Arumugam, DMK`s strongman in Salem district, was arrested on Monday on land grabbing charges, while Periyasamy was arrested the same day at Koombur in Dindigul district on the charge of illegal gravel mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks