‘Jayalalithaa govt pursuing vendetta politics’
Chennai: Accusing the Jayalalithaa government of pursuing vendetta politics, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday criticised the arrest of two former Ministers, including Veerapandi S Arumugam.
"Power will come and go. This will be decided once in five years in a democratic way. Those in power should not forget that they will have to go to the people. The ruling AIADMK is indulging in vendetta", he said in a statement on the arrest of the two former DMK ministers.
The DMK leader said Arumugam was arrested in Chennai and taken to Salem. After the remand, he was again brought back here and lodged in a Chennai prison.
"Arumugam is a heart patient and undergoing treatment. Why this vendetta politics. Is it not misuse of power"? he asked.
Karunanidhi said he had tried to meet Arumugam yesterday but was told the meeting could be possible today.
He along with his son M K Stalin and some other party leaders wanted to meet him today but Arumugam was taken from the jail early this morning. It was not known whether he was taken either to Salem or Vellore jail, he said.
"At the time of the crime that was supposed to have happened in Salem, Arumugam was attending my birthday functions at Chennai", Karunanidhi said.
Arumugam, DMK`s strongman in Salem district, was arrested on Monday on land grabbing charges, while Periyasamy was arrested the same day at Koombur in Dindigul district on the charge of illegal gravel mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- LIVE: Donald Trump takes charge as 45th President of US; Barack Obama thanks supporters