Jayalalithaa hails Cauvery notification
Chennai: Hailing the notification of the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said the state has got justice after 22 long years of struggle as Karnataka is now bound to release water from the river.
"It is a great victory for me and my government... After 22 long years we have got justice," she told reporters at the Secretariat here responding to the development.
Noting it was also a victory of Cauvery Delta farmers, she said since the award has been notified it becomes binding on the neighbouring state, which she said, cannot deny water in the future to Tamil Nadu which was "literally at the mercy of Karnataka."
She said at times of distress, the state would also abide by the tribunal`s directions in sharing Cauvery water.
Terming as a "tremendous victory," the notification of the final award, she said after spending 30 years in politics "first time in these years, I have a sense of fulfilment and achievement today."
Flaying the Centre, she said it was "reluctant" even to notify the interim award even as there was a delay in notifying the final award too.
The Chief Minister noted that while the monsoon sometimes came in bounty to her state, only the overflow from reservoirs in Karnataka during good monsoon there were made available to Tamil Nadu. "We are grateful to the Supreme Court for giving us justice," she said.
"It is a red-letter day for me personally," she said even as her government won its case at the National Green Tribunal over converting the New Assembly-Secretariat complex into a multi-speciality hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark