Jayalalithaa hails Cauvery notification
Chennai: Hailing the notification of the final award of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Wednesday said the state has got justice after 22 long years of struggle as Karnataka is now bound to release water from the river.
"It is a great victory for me and my government... After 22 long years we have got justice," she told reporters at the Secretariat here responding to the development.
Noting it was also a victory of Cauvery Delta farmers, she said since the award has been notified it becomes binding on the neighbouring state, which she said, cannot deny water in the future to Tamil Nadu which was "literally at the mercy of Karnataka."
She said at times of distress, the state would also abide by the tribunal`s directions in sharing Cauvery water.
Terming as a "tremendous victory," the notification of the final award, she said after spending 30 years in politics "first time in these years, I have a sense of fulfilment and achievement today."
Flaying the Centre, she said it was "reluctant" even to notify the interim award even as there was a delay in notifying the final award too.
The Chief Minister noted that while the monsoon sometimes came in bounty to her state, only the overflow from reservoirs in Karnataka during good monsoon there were made available to Tamil Nadu. "We are grateful to the Supreme Court for giving us justice," she said.
"It is a red-letter day for me personally," she said even as her government won its case at the National Green Tribunal over converting the New Assembly-Secretariat complex into a multi-speciality hospital.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?
- 30 Dalit groups in Gujarat form united front to fight atrocities
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI
- Jallikattu: Customs, traditions have to pass legal and constitutional test as well, says SC
- Milky Way's hot gaseous Halo spins like a disk!