Jayalalithaa launches Rs 10 per litre mineral water scheme
Chennai: After low-cost tiffin centres, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday launched a scheme to provide 1 litre mineral water at Rs 10 a bottle, to ensure quality and affordable drinking water to the poor and middle class.
She inaugurated the state-run `Amma Drinking Water` plant with a daily capacity of three lakh litres at Gummidipoondy, about 50 km from here, through video conferencing from the Secretariat and launched the sale of the water bottles.
The plant has been set up by the State Express Transport Corporation (SETC) through the Institute of Road Transport (IRT), a society under the auspices of the state government.
"For the first time in India, drinking water plants are being set up by government transport corporations to provide safe drinking water at low cost to the people," an official release said.
The water will be available in a plastic bottle with the word `Amma` (mother in Tamil), as Jayalalithaa is addressed by her partymen.
This is the latest in a series of pro-people measures taken by the Jayalalithaa government. Recently, it had launched `Amma Canteens` that offer breakfast, lunch and dinner at highly subsidised rates.
Besides, vending outlets selling vegetables at subsidised prices and offering rice at Rs 20 a kg to all people in addition to free rice for ration card holders are among the other welfare schemes launched the government.
The mineral water plant has been set up on 2.47 acres of land at the premises of the IRT at Gummidipoondy, an industrial town in adjoining Tiruvallur District.
The plant has the capacity to produce three lakh litres of water a day. The packaged drinking water will be available in 1 litre units. It will be available in all long-distance government buses and bus terminuses in Chennai and other districts.
The release also said the scheme would be extended to nine more locations in a phased manner.
The state-run transport corporations functioning in districts will implement the scheme in the extended regions.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official
- PM Narendra Modi condemns attack on Kabul`s American University
- Italy earthquake kills 159 as rescuers race to find survivors
- Awwdorable: Vivek Dahiya singing 'Lag Ja Gale' to Divyanka Tripathi will melt your heart – Watch