Jayalalithaa orders release of water from 3 dams in west TN
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday ordered release of water from three dams in west Tamil Nadu from June 28 to facilitate irrigation of farming lands in this region.
Following requests from farmers in Theni, Tiruppur and Erode districts, Periyar, Amaravathi and Bhavanisagar dams would release water from June 28, she said in a statement.
The release of water from Periyar dam would facilitate farming in over 14,707 acres in Theni, Uthamapalayam and Bodinayakanur areas, while Amaravathi would irrigate over 7,520 acre in Tiruppur district, she said.
Water from Bhavanisagar dam through Arakkankottai and Thadapalli channels would irrigate over 24,504 acre of lands in Erode district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?