Jayalalithaa pilloried for publicity blitzkrieg
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa was Wednesday pilloried by her political rivals after she carpet-bombed Delhi and Chennai with four full-page advertisements in almost every newspaper listing her government`s year-long achievements.
"It is alright to bring out advertisements if you have achieved something. Don`t know what the chief minister (Jayalalithaa) has achieved in a year," DMK`s Rajya Sabha Member Kanimozhi told reporters outside parliament.
The Communist Party of India (CPI) too hit out at Jayalalithaa, saying such acts had become part of political culture.
"Not only Jayalalithaa but Mamata Banerjee is also doing the same and it has now become the latest culture of people in power to waste people`s money, to brighten his or her image," CPI leader Gurudas Gupta fumed.
"The government in Tamil Nadu should decide how much funds they should spend on ads. Probably the people in Tamil Nadu will not be reading as it is in English and other languages," Ambika Soni, Information and Broadcasting Minister, said.
The state government`s advertisement, `The Vision for Tamil Nadu for 2023`, promises to transform Tamil Nadu into one of the country`s most prosperous and progressive states with high literacy levels and no poverty.
The advertisement also claims Tamil Nadu to be the only state in the country where the government has distributed `priceless` freebies including rice, mixer-grinders, electric fans and footwear to its people on its own.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot