Jayalalithaa pilloried for publicity blitzkrieg
New Delhi: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa was Wednesday pilloried by her political rivals after she carpet-bombed Delhi and Chennai with four full-page advertisements in almost every newspaper listing her government`s year-long achievements.
"It is alright to bring out advertisements if you have achieved something. Don`t know what the chief minister (Jayalalithaa) has achieved in a year," DMK`s Rajya Sabha Member Kanimozhi told reporters outside parliament.
The Communist Party of India (CPI) too hit out at Jayalalithaa, saying such acts had become part of political culture.
"Not only Jayalalithaa but Mamata Banerjee is also doing the same and it has now become the latest culture of people in power to waste people`s money, to brighten his or her image," CPI leader Gurudas Gupta fumed.
"The government in Tamil Nadu should decide how much funds they should spend on ads. Probably the people in Tamil Nadu will not be reading as it is in English and other languages," Ambika Soni, Information and Broadcasting Minister, said.
The state government`s advertisement, `The Vision for Tamil Nadu for 2023`, promises to transform Tamil Nadu into one of the country`s most prosperous and progressive states with high literacy levels and no poverty.
The advertisement also claims Tamil Nadu to be the only state in the country where the government has distributed `priceless` freebies including rice, mixer-grinders, electric fans and footwear to its people on its own.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire