Jayalalithaa seeks PM`s immediate intervention on Cauvery issue
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa has sought Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s immediate intervention on the Cauvery River water sharing issue.
In a letter to Manmohan Singh on Wednesday, she has noted that the Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited which is an enterprise of the Karnataka Government, should not proceed with any projects in the Cauvery Basin until the Cauvery Management Board was formed.
She has insisted that the Karnataka Government may be instructed appropriately on the issue and should immediately abstain from proceeding on the two projects in the Cauvery Basin.
She further expressed shock that disregarding the Final Order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal, Karnataka is proceeding with new modernization schemes in the Cauvery basin.
Sharing of waters of River Cauvery has been a bone of contention between Karnataka and Tamil Nadu for over three decades.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had said on June 2 that the state could not release Cauvery waters to Tamil Nadu, as reservoirs across the river basin were nearly dry following a severe drought.
The Supreme Court had directed Karnataka to share waters of the Cauvery River with neighbouring Tamil Nadu in October 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note