Jayalalithaa seeks PM`s intervention to secure release of Indian
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa today sought the personal intervention of Prime Minister Narendra Modi in securing release of an Indian aid worker, abducted from Herat in Afghanistan on June 2.
Noting that Father Alexis Prem Kumar, hailing from Dindigul district, was on a "humanitarian mission" in Afghanistan when he was kidnapped, she said, "The incident has caused considerable anxiety to his family and friends in Tamil Nadu".
In her letter to Modi, Jayalalithaa said there was a groundswell of sentiment in different parts of the state as Prem Kumar has a "stellar record" of having worked among tribal women and children for their welfare.
"There is a fear that his life may be in mortal danger", she said.
"Hence I would be grateful if you could kindly intervene personally and take up the matter at the highest level in Afghanisthan so that the local authorities redouble their efforts to secure the safe and early release of Father Alexis Prem Kumar", she said.
One person has been arrested by Afghan security forces in connection with the abduction of Prem Kumar.
The Afghan authorities have already conveyed to India that they have arrested one person who had helped carry out the abduction of 47-year-old Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- Gujarat Dalit protest: After Rahul, Kejriwal to visit violence-hit Una today
- PM Narendra Modi to lay foundation stone of AIIMS in Gorakhpur today
- Rajya Sabha to vote on bill seeking 'special status' for Andhra Pradesh today
- 'Bunty Chor' - Delhi's high-end car thief arrested; BMW, Toyota Fortuner recovered
- Mayawati slur: Dayashankar Singh may surrender today; wife alleges harassment by BSP goons