Jayalalithaa sets up high-level panel to assess crop damage
Chennai: Assuring relief to farmers hit by failure of monsoon and Cauvery water crisis, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday announced setting up of a high-level committee to look into the extent of damage to crops.
The committee will assess the extent of damage to crops and drought and make recommendations to the government regarding areas that should be declared as drought-hit, she said in an official statement.
"Based on this, relief will be provided to farmers in drought-affected areas and my government will make all efforts to ensure the farmers are not affected," she said.
Finance Minister O Panneerselvam will head the committee while Agriculture Minister Damodaran and Electricity Minister Natham R viswanathan are among its other members.
Recalling that she had already announced a relief of Rs 13,692 per acre as relief under crop insurance scheme and state Disaster management fund, she said the panel will also assess the need for more relief.
She also announced that keeping in view the coming Pongal (harvest) festival, the government will provide to 1.84 crore ration card holders, entitled for rice, a package which will have one kg of rice, one kg of sugar and Rs 100 cash to buy other ingredients required to prepare `sarkarai pongal`, a sweet delicacy.
The government will incur an additional expenditure of Rs 300 crore, she added.
The efforts would not only address the grievances of farmers but also enable "people of Tamil Nadu celebrate Pongal with joy," she said extending her Pongal greetings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark