Jayalalithaa sets up medical panel for comatose woman
Chennai: Coming to the aid of a 34-year-old comatose woman days after her husband pleaded for euthanasia for her, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Sunday announced setting up of a special medical team to take care of the patient and Rs five lakh finanicial assistance to the family.
C Subramanian, hailing from Kanyakumari last week appealed to the Tamil Nadu Government on May 8 to allow mercy killing of his wife S Seethalakshmi, in coma for two months after an alleged botched up thyroid surgery in a government hospital, as doctors did not give hope of her recovery.
Subramanian, who submitted a petition to top government officials at the state secretariat in this regard, had also told reporters that he had borrowed Rs three lakh to treat his wife and urged the government to bear the cost of further treatment if it did not allow mercy killing.
Against this backdrop, Jayalalithaa said that on learning about the plight of the woman, admitted to the Rajiv Gandhi Government General Hospital (RGGGH) here on May 1, she had ordered specialised care for her.
"I directed the RGGGH administration to provide intensive treatment for the woman. A team of medical experts led by Dr Tito has been set up who are giving treatment to her," the Chief Minister said in a statement here.
The panel comprised experts from several specialities, including neurology, general medicine, vascular diseases and anasthesia, she noted.
"I have ordered five lakh rupees to her family from the Chief Minister`s Relief fund considering their poor financial background," Jayalalithaa said.
She said the woman had undergone the surgery on March 2 and was being treated for after effects. Later she was shifted to the Government Medical College Hospital in Kanyakumari and treated under the intensive care wing.
Since there was not enough improvement in her condition, she was brought to Chennai and admitted to the RGGGH, she said adding at present she was being given liquid food through tube and parenteral. Besides physiotherapy was also being given.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO