Jayalalithaa slams deregulation of diesel prices
Chennai: Slamming the Centre`s move to deregulate diesel prices, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Thursday said it would pave the way for regular increase in prices of various commodities as oil companies have been authorised to revise prices periodically.
Holding that this decision, besides that of increasing the cap of subsidised LPG cylinders from six to nine was taken at the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs in which union minister M K Alagiri of DMK is a member, she sought to know if he had opposed it "or kept silent as he could not understand the language or he did not attend the meeting."
"Following the Centre`s decision to deregulate petrol, oil companies are periodically revising rates.The same is going to happen for diesel also. Subsequently whenever prices of fuel goes up, it will also result in increase in prices, thus affecting the standard of life of the poor," she said in an official statement here.
Jayalalithaa observed that diesel price is generally controlled by the government to ensure that the price does not go up, affecting the common people.
She said the Centre, by deregulating diesel, was compounding problems of people, who are already suffering due to corruption, rising prices, inflation and increase in railway passenger fares.
The Chief Minister said diesel is an important part of the economy and a price increase would have a cascading effect of hike in prices of essential commodities, bus fares and others.
Jayalalithaa said the government was trying to escape criticism by increasing the LPG cap, but people had been demanding that cylinders should be supplied without any cap.
"DMK chief M Karunanidhi often talks about price rise. But the CCPA in which Alagiri is a member has taken today`s decisions. Did Alagiri extend support for these? Did he oppose? Did he keep quiet since he could not understand the language or did he not participate in the meeting? Karunanidhi should explain this to the people," she said.
Jayalalithaa demanded that in the interests of the poor, the centre should roll back the diesel regulation and supply cylinders without cap.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'