Jayalalithaa slams increase in petroleum products prices
Chennai: Slamming the latest hike in prices of petrol and diesel, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday said it will only push people into debts.
Quoting a Tamil saying, she said that despite the people "showing their opposition," to Congress in the recent assembly elections, the party-led UPA Government was continuously raising the fuel prices.
The hike came within days of revision in the price of LPG and therefore "unjust,"she said in a statement.
"With every Indian suffering from inflation, the hike in petrol prices would further erode the revenue of poor and middle-class people. It will not just increase their expenses, but will pave the way for them to struggle in debts."
She condemned the "anti-people" move of the Centre and opposed the revision saying international rate of crude oil and the value of Indian rupee were "somewhat stable."
Petrol price was today hiked by 41 paise a litre while diesel by 10 paise per litre due to hike in dealers` commission.
Calling for the rollback of today`s hike, she insisted "on behalf of the people" that the government should take back from Oil Marketing Companies the right to determine oil prices.
Jayalalithaa asked the government to bear the increase in commission for diesel dealers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez