Jayalalithaa sues Karunanidhi over Kamal Hassan charge
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Friday filed a defamation suit against DMK supremo M Karunanidhi over his claims that Jayalalithaa was against Kamal Hassan, hence she banned his film ‘Vishwaroopam’.
A war of words broke out between the two at the height of the Viswaroopam controversy after Karunanidhi claimed that Jayalalithaa wrote a letter to late MGR complaining that Kamal Hassan had not given adequate publicity in the media to him (MGR), who had participated in a special show of a film for raising funds.
Reacting to Karunanidhi`s charge, Jayalalithaa said when MGR was the chief minister she was the propaganda secretary of the party and used to meet and discuss issues every day. There was no need for her to write a letter when she could talk to the late leader directly.
"Since Karunanidhi has made a fantastic charge, it cannot be dismissed lightly. So we will be instituting legal proceedings against Mr Karunanidhi...," Jayalalithaa had said.
Jayalalithaa also denied that she had a personal grudge against Kamal Hassan for having made a speech at a function that a dhoti-clad Tamil should become the Prime Minister.
“Why should I take offence at such a statement?” she asked.
“I have not done anything to stall the movies produced by [Mr.] Karunanidhi’s family members. So why should I do it in the case of Kamal Haasan?” the Chief Minister wondered.
However, Karunanidhi stood his ground and said he had proof to back his claim that Jayalalithaa once wrote to then chief minister MG Ramachandran against Kamal Hassan.
"I have all the evidence and when the time comes, (I will) prove the charges in court," Karunanidhi told the media.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune