Jayalalithaa to unveil Pennycuick`s statue on Jan 15
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa would unveil the bronze statue of British engineer Colonel John Pennycuick, the man behind the 119-year old Mullaperiyar dam, in Theni District on January 15.
The statue erected at a memorial amid the scenic Western Ghats at Lower Camp in Theni district has been constructed at a cost of Rs 1.25 crore, an official release said today.
Mullaperiyar dam, built in 1895, saves rainwater received in the Western Ghats and is the primary source for irrigation of lands in Theni, Dindugal, Madurai, Sivagangai and Ramanathapuram districts in southern Tamil Nadu.
Jayalalithaa would also handover various annual awards instituted in the memory of Tamil scholars and leaders such as Thiruvalluvar Award on the occasion.
Those selected for the awards are: Dr N Murugesan (Seyon) for Thiruvalluvar Award, Dr K Samarasam for Thanthai Periyar Award, D Pandian for Annal Ambedkar Award, K R P Manimozhiyan for Perarignar Anna Award, Singaravadivel for Perunthalaivar Kamarasar Award, `Bharathi Kavalar` K Ramamurthy for Mahakavi Bharathiyar Award, Professor Dr S N Kandasamy for Pavendar Bharathidasan Award, Dr Prema Nandakumar for Thamizhthendral Thiru Vi Ka Award and Dr N Rajagopalan (Malaiyaman) for Muthamizhkavalar K A P Viswanatham Award.
Each of the award carries a cheque of Rs one lakh, a sovereign gold medal and a citation. The Chief Minister would also give final assistance to aged Tamil poets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed