Jayalalithaa turns 65
Chennai: AIADMK general secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa turned 65 on Sunday.
The Chief Minister, nursing the ambition of playing a bigger role at the national level post next parliamentary elections, had asked her partymen to win all 40 seats in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, in her recent birthday message.
She had said securing all 40 Lok Sabha seats (39 in Tamil Nadu and one in Puducherry) would only give her happiness and told the party workers to "start working towards that goal from today itself," something which she has been highlighting of late.
The CM asked her supporters to desist from any grandeur to mark her birthday and instead distribute welfare to people. Partymen organised mass-feeding, blood donation and other activities even as banners and posters dotted the city walls hailing the `Puratchi Thalaivi` (Revolutionary Leader).
Jayalalithaa, addressed affectionately as `Amma`, meaning mother in Tamil by her supporters had made it clear that her party will go alone in the next polls, indicating that she is keeping her options open on political alignment and government formation.
Partymen celebrated Jayalalithaa`s birthday by distributing clothes and other assistance to the poor people across the state while special prayers were also held.
A 65 kg cake was cut at the party headquarters by ministers and distributed to public while the Chief Minister herself had launched a massive 65-lakh tree saplings planting drive to mark her birthday recently.
In her third term as Chief Minister of the state, Jayalalithaa, also a yesteryear actor, was initiated into politics by her mentor and AIADMK founder late MG Ramachandran, himself matinee icon in Tamil cinema history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal