Jayalalithaa turns 65
Chennai: AIADMK general secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa turned 65 on Sunday.
The Chief Minister, nursing the ambition of playing a bigger role at the national level post next parliamentary elections, had asked her partymen to win all 40 seats in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls, in her recent birthday message.
She had said securing all 40 Lok Sabha seats (39 in Tamil Nadu and one in Puducherry) would only give her happiness and told the party workers to "start working towards that goal from today itself," something which she has been highlighting of late.
The CM asked her supporters to desist from any grandeur to mark her birthday and instead distribute welfare to people. Partymen organised mass-feeding, blood donation and other activities even as banners and posters dotted the city walls hailing the `Puratchi Thalaivi` (Revolutionary Leader).
Jayalalithaa, addressed affectionately as `Amma`, meaning mother in Tamil by her supporters had made it clear that her party will go alone in the next polls, indicating that she is keeping her options open on political alignment and government formation.
Partymen celebrated Jayalalithaa`s birthday by distributing clothes and other assistance to the poor people across the state while special prayers were also held.
A 65 kg cake was cut at the party headquarters by ministers and distributed to public while the Chief Minister herself had launched a massive 65-lakh tree saplings planting drive to mark her birthday recently.
In her third term as Chief Minister of the state, Jayalalithaa, also a yesteryear actor, was initiated into politics by her mentor and AIADMK founder late MG Ramachandran, himself matinee icon in Tamil cinema history.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’