Jayalalithaa writes to PM for immediate release of fishermen
Chennai: Accusing the Centre of giving an "ineffective and weak response" over fishermen issue, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to secure immediate release of all fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan authorities in the last two years.
In a letter addressed to Singh yesterday, the copies of which was released to the press here today, she wondered if the the Lankan Navy was deliberately trying to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of scheduled talks at Colombo on March 13 on fishermen issue.
She urged the Prime Minister to take up at the highest diplomatic level the issue of immediate release of 177 Tamil Nadu fishermen and 44 boats, .
She noted that after her letter to Singh on March four over the arrest of 32 fishermen on March three, two further incidents occurred in rapid succession on March five in which 24 fishermen were arrested in Palk Bay.
"The repeated incidents occurring with rapid succession particularly after I wrote to you calling for an early release of the fishermen before the March 13 talks lead me to wonder whether the Sri Lankan Navy is acting in a deliberate and calculated manner to vitiate the conducive environment before the talks," she pointed out.
Jayalalaithaa also wondered whether Sri Lankan naval authorities were making sinister attempt to "nullify" the positive and proactive steps taken to work ou a pragmatic soloution for the day-to-day fishing activities of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH