Jayalalithaa writes to PM for immediate release of fishermen
Chennai: Accusing the Centre of giving an "ineffective and weak response" over fishermen issue, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to secure immediate release of all fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan authorities in the last two years.
In a letter addressed to Singh yesterday, the copies of which was released to the press here today, she wondered if the the Lankan Navy was deliberately trying to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of scheduled talks at Colombo on March 13 on fishermen issue.
She urged the Prime Minister to take up at the highest diplomatic level the issue of immediate release of 177 Tamil Nadu fishermen and 44 boats, .
She noted that after her letter to Singh on March four over the arrest of 32 fishermen on March three, two further incidents occurred in rapid succession on March five in which 24 fishermen were arrested in Palk Bay.
"The repeated incidents occurring with rapid succession particularly after I wrote to you calling for an early release of the fishermen before the March 13 talks lead me to wonder whether the Sri Lankan Navy is acting in a deliberate and calculated manner to vitiate the conducive environment before the talks," she pointed out.
Jayalalaithaa also wondered whether Sri Lankan naval authorities were making sinister attempt to "nullify" the positive and proactive steps taken to work ou a pragmatic soloution for the day-to-day fishing activities of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video