Jayalalithaa writes to PM for immediate release of fishermen
Chennai: Accusing the Centre of giving an "ineffective and weak response" over fishermen issue, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to secure immediate release of all fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan authorities in the last two years.
In a letter addressed to Singh yesterday, the copies of which was released to the press here today, she wondered if the the Lankan Navy was deliberately trying to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of scheduled talks at Colombo on March 13 on fishermen issue.
She urged the Prime Minister to take up at the highest diplomatic level the issue of immediate release of 177 Tamil Nadu fishermen and 44 boats, .
She noted that after her letter to Singh on March four over the arrest of 32 fishermen on March three, two further incidents occurred in rapid succession on March five in which 24 fishermen were arrested in Palk Bay.
"The repeated incidents occurring with rapid succession particularly after I wrote to you calling for an early release of the fishermen before the March 13 talks lead me to wonder whether the Sri Lankan Navy is acting in a deliberate and calculated manner to vitiate the conducive environment before the talks," she pointed out.
Jayalalaithaa also wondered whether Sri Lankan naval authorities were making sinister attempt to "nullify" the positive and proactive steps taken to work ou a pragmatic soloution for the day-to-day fishing activities of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?