Jayalalithaa writes to PM for immediate release of fishermen
Chennai: Accusing the Centre of giving an "ineffective and weak response" over fishermen issue, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday urged Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to secure immediate release of all fishermen arrested by Sri Lankan authorities in the last two years.
In a letter addressed to Singh yesterday, the copies of which was released to the press here today, she wondered if the the Lankan Navy was deliberately trying to vitiate the atmosphere ahead of scheduled talks at Colombo on March 13 on fishermen issue.
She urged the Prime Minister to take up at the highest diplomatic level the issue of immediate release of 177 Tamil Nadu fishermen and 44 boats, .
She noted that after her letter to Singh on March four over the arrest of 32 fishermen on March three, two further incidents occurred in rapid succession on March five in which 24 fishermen were arrested in Palk Bay.
"The repeated incidents occurring with rapid succession particularly after I wrote to you calling for an early release of the fishermen before the March 13 talks lead me to wonder whether the Sri Lankan Navy is acting in a deliberate and calculated manner to vitiate the conducive environment before the talks," she pointed out.
Jayalalaithaa also wondered whether Sri Lankan naval authorities were making sinister attempt to "nullify" the positive and proactive steps taken to work ou a pragmatic soloution for the day-to-day fishing activities of fishermen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Kerala Plus Two Results 2015 on keralaresults.nic.in