Jayaraman elected TN Assembly Deputy Speaker
Chennai: AIADMK`s Pollachi V Jayaraman was on Monday unanimously elected as Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
His election, which was uncontested, was necessitated following the elevation of his predecessor V Dhanapal as Speaker when D Jayakumar resigned from the post.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, Deputy Leader of the DMDK Legislature and veteran politician Panrutty S Ramachandran and DMK leader M K Stalin were among those who offered their felicitations to Jayaraman.
Jayalalithaa recalled her party colleague`s various contributions to AIADMK and its government and said by virtue of being in both the Treasury and Opposition benches at different points of time, he could very well understand the aspirations of MLAs from either side.
Ramachandran and Stalin extended their party`s cooperation to Jayaraman for smooth conduct of the House.
Earlier, Dhanapal announced that Jayaraman, a three-time MLA and former Minister, was elected unanimously.
His was the only nomination received for the post of Deputy Speaker, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?