Jayaraman elected TN Assembly Deputy Speaker
Chennai: AIADMK`s Pollachi V Jayaraman was on Monday unanimously elected as Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
His election, which was uncontested, was necessitated following the elevation of his predecessor V Dhanapal as Speaker when D Jayakumar resigned from the post.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, Deputy Leader of the DMDK Legislature and veteran politician Panrutty S Ramachandran and DMK leader M K Stalin were among those who offered their felicitations to Jayaraman.
Jayalalithaa recalled her party colleague`s various contributions to AIADMK and its government and said by virtue of being in both the Treasury and Opposition benches at different points of time, he could very well understand the aspirations of MLAs from either side.
Ramachandran and Stalin extended their party`s cooperation to Jayaraman for smooth conduct of the House.
Earlier, Dhanapal announced that Jayaraman, a three-time MLA and former Minister, was elected unanimously.
His was the only nomination received for the post of Deputy Speaker, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill