Jayaraman elected TN Assembly Deputy Speaker
Chennai: AIADMK`s Pollachi V Jayaraman was on Monday unanimously elected as Deputy Speaker of the Tamil Nadu Assembly.
His election, which was uncontested, was necessitated following the elevation of his predecessor V Dhanapal as Speaker when D Jayakumar resigned from the post.
Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, Deputy Leader of the DMDK Legislature and veteran politician Panrutty S Ramachandran and DMK leader M K Stalin were among those who offered their felicitations to Jayaraman.
Jayalalithaa recalled her party colleague`s various contributions to AIADMK and its government and said by virtue of being in both the Treasury and Opposition benches at different points of time, he could very well understand the aspirations of MLAs from either side.
Ramachandran and Stalin extended their party`s cooperation to Jayaraman for smooth conduct of the House.
Earlier, Dhanapal announced that Jayaraman, a three-time MLA and former Minister, was elected unanimously.
His was the only nomination received for the post of Deputy Speaker, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi