Jaya`s DA case: SC seeks KTK response on appointment of judge
New Delhi: The Supreme Court Wednesday sought a response of Karnataka government on Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa`s plea challenging the appointment of a presiding judge to conduct the trial of a 17-year-old disproportionate assets case against her in a Bangalore court.
A bench comprising justices B S Chauhan and S A Bobde issued a notice to Karnataka government on the plea of the AIADMK supremo and three other accused challenging the notification in this regard and sought its response by November 15.
G B Mudigoudar was appointed as the presiding judge following the retirement of Balakrishna, who attained the age of superannuation on September 30, to conclude the trial expeditiously.
Besides Jayalalithaa, the other accused in the case are V K Sasikala, V N Sudhakaran and J Elavarasi.
They have contended Karnataka government had committed contempt of court by not implementing the apex court`s directions issued on September 30 quashing the notification revoking the appointment of G Bhavani Singh as the special public prosecutor.
They submitted the apex court, while allowing Singh to continue as the SPP, asked the state government and the high court on its administrative side to consider extending the services of Balakrishna to conclude the trial expeditiously.
The petitioners said that without implementing the apex court`s directions, the government issued a notification on October 3 appointing Mudigoudar as the presiding judge with retrospective effect from October 1 until further orders.
In the petition, they said the special judge had on October 3 itself took up the case and directed them to appear in the court on October 30 when it was wholly unnecessary as the questioning under Section 313 CrPC was over, the defence had concluded the arguments and the prosecution was midway in concluding its arguments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid