Judgment in Sankararaman murder case on November 27
Puducherry: A court here will deliver judgement in the Sankararaman murder case, in which Kanchi Sankaracharya Jayendra Saraswathi and his junior Vijayendra are the prime accused, on November 27.
Jayendra Saraswathi and Vijayendra Saraswathi were among the 21 accused present in the court when the hearing resumed today before Principal District and Sessions Judge C S Murugan.
Sankararaman, Manager in the Varadarajaperumal temple at Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu, was allegedly murdered on September 3, 2004, in the temple premises. The two seers have been charged under IPC sections 120-B (criminal conspiracy) and 302 (murder).
A total of 189 witnesses were examined during the trial which was held between 2009 and 2012 and 81 of them turned hostile during the examination.
The trial was shifted to Puducherry from Tamil Nadu following the Supreme Court direction in October 2005 on a petition filed by Jayendra Saraswathi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets