K Rosaiah named new Tamil Nadu Governor
New Delhi: Former Andhra Pradesh Chief
Minister K Rosaiah was on Friday appointed as the new Tamil Nadu
Governor while Jharkhand Governor M O H Farook was shifted to
Kerala in a slew of announcements for gubernatorial posts by
President Pratibha Patil.
Konijeti Rosaiah (78) replaces Surjit Singh Barnala who
took over the post on June 20, 2006. Rosaiah, a prominent
leader from Guntur, assumed charge as AP Chief Minister on
September 3, 2009 after the death of the then Chief Minister
of the state Y S Rajsekhara Reddy in a helicopter crash, and
held the post till November 24, 2010.
The President has also given additional charge of Goa to
Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan, a Rashtrapati Bhavan
Sankaranarayan and Farook will carry on their new
assignments till the end of their terms, it said. Their terms
will end in January, 2015.
President has also appointed Ram Naresh Yadav as Governor
of Madhya Pradesh, Vakkom Purushothaman as Governor of Mizoram
and Syed Ahmed as Governor of Jharkhand.
"Their appointments will take effect from the dates they
assume their respective charges," the statement said.
79-year old Sankaranarayanan had assumed charge
Maharashtra Governor on January 22, 2010. Before coming to
Maharashtra, he was appointed the Governor of Nagaland on
February 3, 2007 and held the post till July 25, 2009 when he
was appointed Jharkhand Governor.
Farook, 73-year old leader from Puducherry, took over as
Jharkhand Governor on January 22, 2010. He was also the
Ambassador of India to Saudi Arabia from September 2004 to
Vakkom B Purushothaman is 83-year old veteran Congress
leader from Vakkom, Kerala. He has been the member of All
India Congress Committee for over 25-years. An advocate,
Purushothaman held the post of Lt.Governor of Andaman and
Nicobar Islands for three years from March 1993.
Yadav, 83-year old leader from Azamgarh, Uttar Pradesh
was the Chief Minister of the state from 1977-79 as Janta
Party member. He has contested 2004 Lok Sabha elections rom
Azamgarh on a Congress ticket but lost.
Syed Ahmed is a former Maharashtra Cabinet Minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security