`Kalpakkam station operations not hit by cyclone`
Chennai: Operations at the Madras Atomic
Power Station (MAPS) at Kalpakkam, 70 km from here in the East
Coast, continued unhindered when the Thane cyclonic storm
crossed Tamil Nadu coast this morning, a top official said.
The storm which crossed the state coast accompanied by
gale winds and high tides did not affect the operations at
MAPS where the two units operated "safely at 150 MWe each
during the cyclonic storm Thane," Station Director K
Ramamurthy said in a statement.
The maximum tide level observed was about 1.5 metres from
mean sea level which was "well within" the estimated storm
surge height of 3.7 metres in the design, he said.
"The units experienced slight variations in condenser
vacuum due to increase in back pressure caused by high tide
and due to ingress of shells and silt. In the last 24 hours,
the maximum wind velocity was 45-50 kmph and the rainfall 96.6
mm," he said.
"As on December 30, MAPS UNIT-2 has completed 305 days of
continuous operations" he added.
The cyclone in the Bay of Bengal crossed the state this
morning claiming six lives and leaving a trail of destruction
in Cuddalore district and in neighbouring Union territory of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you