Kanchi seer against Nityananda as head of Madurai
Krishnagiri: Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati on Wednesday voiced his opposition to self-styled godman Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the Madurai Adheenam.
"Madurai Adeenam is one of the oldest mutts in India and headed by famous saints like Thirgnana Sambandar. The pontiffs of Madurai Adheenam should tonsure their head and wear ‘Rudraksha’", the Kanchi seer told reporters.
Nityananda has not tonsured his head. Besides this, he is involved in a sex scandal...His appointment is not acceptable", he said.
The Kanchi seer was talking to reporters after visiting the Sankara Mutt here to release the ‘Panchangam’ (religious almanac) prepared by Tamil Nadu Brahminar Sangam for the current ‘Nandana?’(spiritual) year.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of 1,500-year-old Saivite mutt has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Committee flags gaps, vulnerability in Indo-Pak border fencing
- Argentine football legend Diego Maradona's passport stolen, unable to travel to Dubai
- RBI calls for ownership change of companies with sticky loan accounts
- Building a sports culture crucial to winning medals at Olympics: Pullela Gopichand
- Maharashtra, Haryana Assemblies unanimously ratify GST Bill