Kanchi seer against Nityananda as head of Madurai
Krishnagiri: Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati on Wednesday voiced his opposition to self-styled godman Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the Madurai Adheenam.
"Madurai Adeenam is one of the oldest mutts in India and headed by famous saints like Thirgnana Sambandar. The pontiffs of Madurai Adheenam should tonsure their head and wear ‘Rudraksha’", the Kanchi seer told reporters.
Nityananda has not tonsured his head. Besides this, he is involved in a sex scandal...His appointment is not acceptable", he said.
The Kanchi seer was talking to reporters after visiting the Sankara Mutt here to release the ‘Panchangam’ (religious almanac) prepared by Tamil Nadu Brahminar Sangam for the current ‘Nandana?’(spiritual) year.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of 1,500-year-old Saivite mutt has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'