Kanchi seer against Nityananda as head of Madurai
Krishnagiri: Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati on Wednesday voiced his opposition to self-styled godman Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the Madurai Adheenam.
"Madurai Adeenam is one of the oldest mutts in India and headed by famous saints like Thirgnana Sambandar. The pontiffs of Madurai Adheenam should tonsure their head and wear ‘Rudraksha’", the Kanchi seer told reporters.
Nityananda has not tonsured his head. Besides this, he is involved in a sex scandal...His appointment is not acceptable", he said.
The Kanchi seer was talking to reporters after visiting the Sankara Mutt here to release the ‘Panchangam’ (religious almanac) prepared by Tamil Nadu Brahminar Sangam for the current ‘Nandana?’(spiritual) year.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of 1,500-year-old Saivite mutt has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert