Kanchi seer against Nityananda as head of Madurai
Krishnagiri: Kanchi seer Jayendra Saraswati on Wednesday voiced his opposition to self-styled godman Nityananda`s appointment as the head of the Madurai Adheenam.
"Madurai Adeenam is one of the oldest mutts in India and headed by famous saints like Thirgnana Sambandar. The pontiffs of Madurai Adheenam should tonsure their head and wear ‘Rudraksha’", the Kanchi seer told reporters.
Nityananda has not tonsured his head. Besides this, he is involved in a sex scandal...His appointment is not acceptable", he said.
The Kanchi seer was talking to reporters after visiting the Sankara Mutt here to release the ‘Panchangam’ (religious almanac) prepared by Tamil Nadu Brahminar Sangam for the current ‘Nandana?’(spiritual) year.
The appointment of Nithyananda as head of 1,500-year-old Saivite mutt has triggered protests from several quarters, including heads of different mutts in the state, in view of pending criminal charges, including rape, against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air