Kani reaches Chennai, says will prove innocence
Chennai: After spending over six months in Tihar Jail in Delhi, DMK MP Kanimozhi finally reached her home in Chennai on Saturday.
Kanimozhi was received at the Chennai airport at around 1.30 pm by her father and party chief M Karunanidhi.
Kanimozhi, who was granted bail in the 2G spectrum scam case, left Delhi this morning.
Karunanidhi had said after Kanimozhi was granted bail by the Delhi High Court last week that the party would organise a big welcome for her when she arrives in Chennai.
Terming grant of bail in the case as the "first step", Kanimozhi today said she would prove her innocence and get out of the case legally.
In her first comments after being released from Tihar Jail last Tuesday, Kanimozhi said she was happy at being granted bail by the Delhi High Court in the 2G case.
"I am very happy to be going back (to Chennai). I am looking forward to my visit in Chennai. We are all happy that finally people are getting bail in the case. This is the first step," she told reporters here before boarding a flight to Chennai from New Delhi.
Asked about her next step, the DMK Rajya Sabha member said, "I have to prove my innocence and face the case legally and get out of it. I am confident of doing this."
Kanimozhi was released on bail from the Tihar Jail on Tuesday evening and had been attending court proceedings in the national capital for the past three days.
She will be in Chennai for the next few days.
She was arrested on May 20 this year after the Special CBI Court rejected her bail plea and ordered forthwith arrest.
Since then Kanimozhi had spent her days in jail with both Delhi High Court and Supreme Court asking her to approach the lower court for bail after framing of charges.
However, the special court on November 3 rejected her bail plea following which she approached the High Court which granted bail on November 28.
She was released from jail the following day.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- India remembers Kargil War hero Captain Anuj Nayyar who died in 1999
- Who are you? Guide to top seeds` rivals at 2016 US Open
- Low oxygen level kills thousands of peanut bunker fish in Keansburg marina- Watch!
- Dilshan equalled services of Jayawardena, Sangakkara for Sri Lankan cricket: Mathews
- Egypt frees renowned rights lawyer Malek Adly