Kanimozhi breaks down, DMK shocked
New Delhi: With the CBI not opposing bail to Kanimozhi and her release did seem imminent; top leaders of the DMK and many members of her immediate family were present in court today to take her back home.
But it was not to be, special judge OP Saini rejected the bail plea of Kanimozhi and seven others citing the graveness of the financial wrongdoing allegedly committed by them in the 2G scam.
Kanimozhi’s mother Rajathi Ammal broke down on hearing the verdict and seeing her cry, Kanimozhi also started weeping but she was taken away, back to the Tihar Jail, leaving her family and friends stunned.
Her husband Aravindan with their son in tow was also present in the court besides several DMK MPs including TR Baalu and Tiruchi Siva. Film actress Khusboo was also present.
Kanimozhi’s half-brother MK Stalin, along with his family, is also in Delhi to meet her.
In Chennai, as soon as the news trickled in, a sense of gloom descended at the residence of party patriarch M Karunanidhi and the party office.
As per reports, DMK leaders briefed former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and Kanoimozhi’s father M Karunanidhi about the court proceedings and the grounds on which it rejected bail to the DMK MP.
Karunanidhi is upset and the DMK feels that the court’s stand on the issue is highly discriminatory and questioned its decision to keep Kanimozhi in jail in the 2G spectrum case, which is also under the Supreme Court`s scanner.
All the accused, who were denied bail today, may move the High Court, however as the case is under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court, the apex court’s view on it would be important.
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports claimed that a female MP of the party has tonsured her head as an offering to the Gods with the wish that Kanimozhi gets bail. She now wears a wig, it is being said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi