Kanimozhi breaks down, DMK shocked
New Delhi: With the CBI not opposing bail to Kanimozhi and her release did seem imminent; top leaders of the DMK and many members of her immediate family were present in court today to take her back home.
But it was not to be, special judge OP Saini rejected the bail plea of Kanimozhi and seven others citing the graveness of the financial wrongdoing allegedly committed by them in the 2G scam.
Kanimozhi’s mother Rajathi Ammal broke down on hearing the verdict and seeing her cry, Kanimozhi also started weeping but she was taken away, back to the Tihar Jail, leaving her family and friends stunned.
Her husband Aravindan with their son in tow was also present in the court besides several DMK MPs including TR Baalu and Tiruchi Siva. Film actress Khusboo was also present.
Kanimozhi’s half-brother MK Stalin, along with his family, is also in Delhi to meet her.
In Chennai, as soon as the news trickled in, a sense of gloom descended at the residence of party patriarch M Karunanidhi and the party office.
As per reports, DMK leaders briefed former Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and Kanoimozhi’s father M Karunanidhi about the court proceedings and the grounds on which it rejected bail to the DMK MP.
Karunanidhi is upset and the DMK feels that the court’s stand on the issue is highly discriminatory and questioned its decision to keep Kanimozhi in jail in the 2G spectrum case, which is also under the Supreme Court`s scanner.
All the accused, who were denied bail today, may move the High Court, however as the case is under the scrutiny of the Supreme Court, the apex court’s view on it would be important.
Meanwhile, unconfirmed reports claimed that a female MP of the party has tonsured her head as an offering to the Gods with the wish that Kanimozhi gets bail. She now wears a wig, it is being said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire