Kanimozhi, D Raja, Maitreyan elected to RS from Tamil Nadu
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi`s daughter Kanimozhi was on Thursday re-elected to Rajya Sabha with Congress support from Tamil Nadu after a contest with actor Vijayakanth`s DMDK candidate.
Four AIADMK candidates, including the party leader in Rajya Sabha V Maitreyan and CPI`s D Raja, however, registered comfortable wins as expected in the elections for which voting was held for the first time in 17 years.
45-year-old Kanimozhi, an accused in the 2G scam, sailed through the contest for a second term with 31 votes after five Congress` MLAs voted in her favour along with two votes each from two smaller parties--Puthiya Thamizhagam and Manithaneya Munnetrak Katchi. One vote of the DMK combine is understood to have been held invalid.
The Congress decision came as a surprise against the backdrop of the bitter separation between the two parties after nine years of friendship in the UPA coalition earlier this year.
CPI leader D Raja, for whom AIADMK had extended support, won with 34 votes. He has also been re-elected for a second term to the Rajya Sabha.
The Four AIADMK candidates were elected comfortably. Maitreyan with 36 votes gets a third term with his election while his other party colleagues Ratnavel and Arjunan (36 each) and Lakshmanan (35) are new entrants to the Upper House of Parliament.
DMDK, which has suffered dissidence, lost in the elections when its candidate A R Elangovan got only 22 votes. seven dissident DMDK MLAs voted for the ruling AIADMK and its supported candidates.
In the 234-member House, a candidate has to get 34 first preference votes. Three MLAs of PMK boycotted the elections.
While the four AIADMK candidates and CPI`s Raja got elected on the basis of first preference votes, Kanimozhi won on the basis of counting done by elimination method.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill