Kanimozhi, Raja may be be chargesheeted again by ED
New Delhi: The Enforcement Directorate is expected to soon file a charge sheet against DMK leader Kanimozhi and former Telecom Minister A Raja for alleged money laundering in the 2G spectrum case.
The Attorney General`s office has vetted and sent back the agency`s charge sheet in this regard to the Law Ministry recently for further action.
The ED had asked for a legal vetting of the charge sheet by country`s top law officer Ghoolam E Vahanvati through the Department of Revenue early last year.
Official sources said the Attorney General perused he charge sheet and sent it back to the Law Ministry. The ED is expected to soon follow the set procedure and file the charge sheet in the case.
The opinion on the charge sheet included that of Solicitor General Mohan Parasaran who has cleared it for being placed before the competent court trying the 2G case.
The legal opinion to file a charge sheet in this case, sources said, is reinforced by a 2010 Jharkhand High Court order which validates application of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act in cases prior to its amendment in 2009.
The agency claimed to have found evidence with regard to the channelling of Rs 200 crore to the DMK family?run Kalaignar TV through a circuitous route and relying on the Jharkhand High Court order it has decided to slap the charge of "criminal proceeds" against the accused, including the duo, under the PMLA.
The High Court order, relating to Hari Narain Roy vs Union of India, had stated that any money laundering related offences prior to the date of amendment of PMLA can be prosecuted under the said Act.
This particular deal of Rs 200 crore pertains to January 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo