Kanimozhi refuses to disclose I-T returns
Chennai: Even as she battled the ignominy of being named as the co co-conspirator in the 2G scam chargesheet, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi’s daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi has objected to the disclosure of her income tax returns under the Right to Information Act.
A city-based RTI activist V Gopalakrishnan had filed an application with the information commission seeking copies of the I-T returns filed by Kanimozhi from 2006-07 to 2010-11. In his application he argued: as politicians disclose their assets while contesting the elections, they should also be open to disclosing their I-T returns for public scrutiny.
However, following her objection to her returns being disclosed, the I-T department rejected application.
As per details published a newspaper, Kanimozhi in a letter to Vidya Ramachandran, central public information officer (CPIO) of Circle-I, Chennai, refused to disclose the information on the grounds that income tax returns are confidential documents and hence cannot be disclosed to a third party.
Agreeing with her stand on the issue, the CPIO said the information sought by the applicant is personal in nature as it contains personal information of the third party, the disclosure of which has no relationship with any public activity or interest, hence can’t be sought under the RTI Act.
Kanimozhi is not first politician from Tamil Nadu who has refused to disclose details about her I-T returns.
Former telecom minister A Raja, who is in Tihar jail in the spectrum scam, had also objected to the disclosure of his I-T returns.
The other top politicians from the state who had, as per reports, earlier refused to disclose details are: Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, Union Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran and Deputy Chief Minister MK Stalin.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani