Kanimozhi refuses to disclose I-T returns
Chennai: Even as she battled the ignominy of being named as the co co-conspirator in the 2G scam chargesheet, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M Karunanidhi’s daughter and Rajya Sabha MP Kanimozhi has objected to the disclosure of her income tax returns under the Right to Information Act.
A city-based RTI activist V Gopalakrishnan had filed an application with the information commission seeking copies of the I-T returns filed by Kanimozhi from 2006-07 to 2010-11. In his application he argued: as politicians disclose their assets while contesting the elections, they should also be open to disclosing their I-T returns for public scrutiny.
However, following her objection to her returns being disclosed, the I-T department rejected application.
As per details published a newspaper, Kanimozhi in a letter to Vidya Ramachandran, central public information officer (CPIO) of Circle-I, Chennai, refused to disclose the information on the grounds that income tax returns are confidential documents and hence cannot be disclosed to a third party.
Agreeing with her stand on the issue, the CPIO said the information sought by the applicant is personal in nature as it contains personal information of the third party, the disclosure of which has no relationship with any public activity or interest, hence can’t be sought under the RTI Act.
Kanimozhi is not first politician from Tamil Nadu who has refused to disclose details about her I-T returns.
Former telecom minister A Raja, who is in Tihar jail in the spectrum scam, had also objected to the disclosure of his I-T returns.
The other top politicians from the state who had, as per reports, earlier refused to disclose details are: Chief Minister M Karunanidhi, Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, Union Textiles Minister Dayanidhi Maran and Deputy Chief Minister MK Stalin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das