Kani`s bail: Karunanidhi questions democracy
Chennai: Expressing concern over the continued
incarceration of his daughter Kanimozhi in the 2G spectrum
case, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said if courts "hesitated"
to provide legal rights, it could cast a question mark on the
"If Courts, one of the pillars of Indian democracy,
hesitated to provide legal rights and protect the basics of
the law, a question will rise in everybody`s mind where Indian
democracy is going and about its future," he wrote in his
party`s organ Murasoli today.
"Let us hope for the best", he said while referring to
the Delhi High Court adjourning Kanimozhi`s bail plea to
Quoting the opinions of several legal experts, he claimed
they had expressed disappointment over the CBI court rejecting
her bail plea.
The investigation in the 2G spectrum scam was over and
charges framed in the case, he said.
The accused were languishing in Tihar Jail in New Delhi
for the past six months. This was happening despite the CBI
raising no objection to the grant of bail to Kanimozhi and
four other accused in the case, he said.
Karunanidhi also referred to Supreme Court`s observations
that accused could move their bail plea once charges were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam