Kani`s bail: Karunanidhi questions democracy
Chennai: Expressing concern over the continued
incarceration of his daughter Kanimozhi in the 2G spectrum
case, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday said if courts "hesitated"
to provide legal rights, it could cast a question mark on the
"If Courts, one of the pillars of Indian democracy,
hesitated to provide legal rights and protect the basics of
the law, a question will rise in everybody`s mind where Indian
democracy is going and about its future," he wrote in his
party`s organ Murasoli today.
"Let us hope for the best", he said while referring to
the Delhi High Court adjourning Kanimozhi`s bail plea to
Quoting the opinions of several legal experts, he claimed
they had expressed disappointment over the CBI court rejecting
her bail plea.
The investigation in the 2G spectrum scam was over and
charges framed in the case, he said.
The accused were languishing in Tihar Jail in New Delhi
for the past six months. This was happening despite the CBI
raising no objection to the grant of bail to Kanimozhi and
four other accused in the case, he said.
Karunanidhi also referred to Supreme Court`s observations
that accused could move their bail plea once charges were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt