Karna HC reserves order on Sasikala`s petition
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Wednesday reserved orders on a plea by Sasikala Natarajan, co-accused in
the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa, seeking translated versions of
questions framed by the court in Tamil.
Justice N Ananda reserved his verdict after conclusion of
arguments on both sides.
On December 16, Sasikala`s counsel had filed the criminal
petition seeking Tamil translation of questions framed by
Subsequently on December 19, when the petition came up
before the High Court, Justice B V Pinto had granted six weeks
stay on proceedings against Sasikala, a former close aide of
Jayalalithaa, in the Special Court.
Earlier, Sasikala`s counsel Giri V, citing judgements of
the apex court and the Calcutta High Court, submitted that
allowing the plea will be "in advancement of justice, would
not subvert justice in any manner" and added that the
translated version be kept as a part of the record.
Special Public Prosecutor B V Acharya contended that
keeping the translated version was not necessary as the
official interpreter could translate the questions during the
recording of her (Sasikala) statement under CrPC section 313
(power to examine the accused) and also translate in turn
answers furnished by her into English.
The special court had on January 18 adjourned the
proceedings against Sasikala to January 30 as the interim stay
granted by the High Court is in force till then.
The case relates to accumulation of wealth allegedly
disproportionate to Jayalalithaa`s known sources of income
when she was Chief Minister in 1991-96.
Jayalalithaa had expelled Sasikala and 13 others from the
AIADMK on December 19 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming