Karna HC reserves order on Sasikala`s petition
Bangalore: Karnataka High Court on Wednesday reserved orders on a plea by Sasikala Natarajan, co-accused in
the disproportionate assets case against Tamil Nadu Chief
Minister Jayalalithaa, seeking translated versions of
questions framed by the court in Tamil.
Justice N Ananda reserved his verdict after conclusion of
arguments on both sides.
On December 16, Sasikala`s counsel had filed the criminal
petition seeking Tamil translation of questions framed by
Subsequently on December 19, when the petition came up
before the High Court, Justice B V Pinto had granted six weeks
stay on proceedings against Sasikala, a former close aide of
Jayalalithaa, in the Special Court.
Earlier, Sasikala`s counsel Giri V, citing judgements of
the apex court and the Calcutta High Court, submitted that
allowing the plea will be "in advancement of justice, would
not subvert justice in any manner" and added that the
translated version be kept as a part of the record.
Special Public Prosecutor B V Acharya contended that
keeping the translated version was not necessary as the
official interpreter could translate the questions during the
recording of her (Sasikala) statement under CrPC section 313
(power to examine the accused) and also translate in turn
answers furnished by her into English.
The special court had on January 18 adjourned the
proceedings against Sasikala to January 30 as the interim stay
granted by the High Court is in force till then.
The case relates to accumulation of wealth allegedly
disproportionate to Jayalalithaa`s known sources of income
when she was Chief Minister in 1991-96.
Jayalalithaa had expelled Sasikala and 13 others from the
AIADMK on December 19 last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22