Karnataka river projects would hit Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa has requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to advise Karnataka to desist from going ahead with any project in the Cauvery basin as it would affect Tamil Nadu`s irrigation interests.
A letter to this effect from Jayalalithaa to Manmohan Singh dated September 03 was released to the media here on Wednesday.
Referring to the advertisements issued recently by a Karnataka company, Jayalalithaa said: "Under the circumstances, I request you to intervene in the matter and advise the government of Karnataka and its Cauvery Neeravari Nigama Limited (CNNL) not to proceed with any projects in the Cauvery basin till the Cauvery Management Board is formed."
The Cauvery Neeravari Nigama, a Karnataka government undertaking, issued newspaper advertisements inviting expression of interest for restoration and rejuvenation of the Arkavathy river and for modernisation of the Hemavathy canals.
She said Karnataka may be instructed to advise the CNNL to withhold the invitation for expression of interest called by it for two projects.
Jayalalithaa said the rejuvenation of the Arkavathy river and remodelling of the Hemavathy canals are new schemes not contemplated in the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal.
"The scope of the projects is also not known," the Chief Minister said.
She said it was "apprehended" that the remodelling of the Hemavathy project "will result in increased drawal of water by Karnataka" and expansion of their ayacut (area served by an irrigation project) to more than what has been allocated by the tribunal will affect the natural flow of the river and consequently severely hit the irrigation interests of Tamil Nadu.
"These schemes proposed by the government of Karnataka are against the final order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal," Jayalalithaa said.
Jayalalithaa requested the Prime Minister to immediately form the Cauvery Management Board and the Cauvery Water Regulation Committee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared