Karuna appeals to PM, Sonia to save Rajiv killers
Chennai: DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday
appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson
Sonia Gandhi to make attempts to save the three death row
convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
In a statement, the former Tamil Nadu chief minister said
the three convicts -- Perarivalan, Santhan and Murugan -- had
been languishing in prison for more than 20 years after being
awarded capital punishment.
"Despite pleas by many to the Tamil Nadu government to
pass a Cabinet resolution to recommend to the Governor to
commute their sentences, no steps have been taken. At least
the Centre should do so. I urge the Prime Minister and UPA
chairperson to do the needful," he said.
On September 9, the Madras High Court had stayed the
execution of the accused for eight weeks.
Karunanidhi has been demanding that the three should be
set free as they have undergone imprisonment for more than
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you