Karuna appeals to PM, Sonia to save Rajiv killers
Chennai: DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Thursday
appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and UPA chairperson
Sonia Gandhi to make attempts to save the three death row
convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case.
In a statement, the former Tamil Nadu chief minister said
the three convicts -- Perarivalan, Santhan and Murugan -- had
been languishing in prison for more than 20 years after being
awarded capital punishment.
"Despite pleas by many to the Tamil Nadu government to
pass a Cabinet resolution to recommend to the Governor to
commute their sentences, no steps have been taken. At least
the Centre should do so. I urge the Prime Minister and UPA
chairperson to do the needful," he said.
On September 9, the Madras High Court had stayed the
execution of the accused for eight weeks.
Karunanidhi has been demanding that the three should be
set free as they have undergone imprisonment for more than
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement