Karuna backs Eelam demand; seeks revival of TESO
Chennai: Backing a separate Eelam (homeland) for Sri Lankan Tamils, DMK president M Karunanidhi has reiterated his demand for India`s role in this regard as he sought reviving Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO).
Addressing a public meeting at Kolathur, the constituency of his son and party treasurer MK Stalin last night, he called for a peaceful and democratic struggle to achieve this purpose.
"The Sri Lankan President may reject the idea, but it will be my endeavour," he said.
The DMK patriarch, associated in the 1980s with TESO which went into oblivion later, sought its revival with the help of leaders, including Dravidar Kazhagam president K Veeramani.
He reiterated his demand for a referendum for this purpose by the United Nations and India, an issue he has raised repeatedly in the last few days. He had said he was not asking for a military intervention by India like it did in the Iiberation of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Bastille Day killer had help preparing Nice attack, says Paris prosecutor
- Another milestone for captain marvellous: Virat Kohli completes 3000 Test runs
- Brazil arrests 'amateur' group accused of Olympics terror plot
- Dreaded Maoist couple, three other ultras surrender in Odisha
- High-speed trains running on these five routes soon to be a reality