Karuna backs Eelam demand; seeks revival of TESO
Chennai: Backing a separate Eelam (homeland) for Sri Lankan Tamils, DMK president M Karunanidhi has reiterated his demand for India`s role in this regard as he sought reviving Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO).
Addressing a public meeting at Kolathur, the constituency of his son and party treasurer MK Stalin last night, he called for a peaceful and democratic struggle to achieve this purpose.
"The Sri Lankan President may reject the idea, but it will be my endeavour," he said.
The DMK patriarch, associated in the 1980s with TESO which went into oblivion later, sought its revival with the help of leaders, including Dravidar Kazhagam president K Veeramani.
He reiterated his demand for a referendum for this purpose by the United Nations and India, an issue he has raised repeatedly in the last few days. He had said he was not asking for a military intervention by India like it did in the Iiberation of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS
- Turning the tide on hair loss