Karuna backs Eelam demand; seeks revival of TESO
Chennai: Backing a separate Eelam (homeland) for Sri Lankan Tamils, DMK president M Karunanidhi has reiterated his demand for India`s role in this regard as he sought reviving Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation (TESO).
Addressing a public meeting at Kolathur, the constituency of his son and party treasurer MK Stalin last night, he called for a peaceful and democratic struggle to achieve this purpose.
"The Sri Lankan President may reject the idea, but it will be my endeavour," he said.
The DMK patriarch, associated in the 1980s with TESO which went into oblivion later, sought its revival with the help of leaders, including Dravidar Kazhagam president K Veeramani.
He reiterated his demand for a referendum for this purpose by the United Nations and India, an issue he has raised repeatedly in the last few days. He had said he was not asking for a military intervention by India like it did in the Iiberation of Bangladesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!