Karuna backs Prez`s idea to prevent Parliament disruptions
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday supported President Pranab Mukherjee`s suggestion of exploring the possibilities of amending rules to ensure smooth running of both Houses of Parliament and said "people are on the verge of frustration” due to frequent stalling of proceedings.
"It will be of big help to the people, who are on the verge of frustration witnessing the recent proceedings in Parliament, if those concerned take into account their aspirations and the need to discuss issues, and arrive at a consensus on amending rules," he said.
The DMK chief, whose party has 18 Lok Sabha MPs and seven of them in the Upper House, described Mukherjee`s proposal as "valid”.
"There is no second thought that the idea proposed by the President is valid," he said responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
Against the backdrop of Parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, Mukherjee had suggested parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both Houses were able to transact routine business.
The DMK chief also slammed the Tamil Nadu Government on the power front, claiming power cuts were extended to as much as 16 hours, and charged the government with doing little to address the issue including expediting projects currently underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj