Karuna backs Prez`s idea to prevent Parliament disruptions
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday supported President Pranab Mukherjee`s suggestion of exploring the possibilities of amending rules to ensure smooth running of both Houses of Parliament and said "people are on the verge of frustration” due to frequent stalling of proceedings.
"It will be of big help to the people, who are on the verge of frustration witnessing the recent proceedings in Parliament, if those concerned take into account their aspirations and the need to discuss issues, and arrive at a consensus on amending rules," he said.
The DMK chief, whose party has 18 Lok Sabha MPs and seven of them in the Upper House, described Mukherjee`s proposal as "valid”.
"There is no second thought that the idea proposed by the President is valid," he said responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
Against the backdrop of Parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, Mukherjee had suggested parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both Houses were able to transact routine business.
The DMK chief also slammed the Tamil Nadu Government on the power front, claiming power cuts were extended to as much as 16 hours, and charged the government with doing little to address the issue including expediting projects currently underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31