Karuna backs Prez`s idea to prevent Parliament disruptions
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Sunday supported President Pranab Mukherjee`s suggestion of exploring the possibilities of amending rules to ensure smooth running of both Houses of Parliament and said "people are on the verge of frustration” due to frequent stalling of proceedings.
"It will be of big help to the people, who are on the verge of frustration witnessing the recent proceedings in Parliament, if those concerned take into account their aspirations and the need to discuss issues, and arrive at a consensus on amending rules," he said.
The DMK chief, whose party has 18 Lok Sabha MPs and seven of them in the Upper House, described Mukherjee`s proposal as "valid”.
"There is no second thought that the idea proposed by the President is valid," he said responding to a set of questions in party mouthpiece `Murasoli.`
Against the backdrop of Parliamentary proceedings being paralysed regularly, Mukherjee had suggested parliamentarians should explore possibilities of amending rules to ensure that both Houses were able to transact routine business.
The DMK chief also slammed the Tamil Nadu Government on the power front, claiming power cuts were extended to as much as 16 hours, and charged the government with doing little to address the issue including expediting projects currently underway.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets