Karuna calls for solutions to Lankan Tamils issue
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi today called for "short, medium and long-term solutions" to address the various aspects of Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
Addressing a conclave at the Eelam Tamils Rights Protection Conference here, he said "the short-term and medium term solutions include resettlement and rehabilitation of displaced Tamils, besides reconstruction of infrastructural and civic facilities."
"Long-term solution is a political solution which has been discussed and debated for a very long time," the DMK patriarch told the conclave, a prelude to the international conference scheduled later for the day.
He also expressed anguish that Sri Lankan military runs "a state of emergency" in the Tamil areas.
The pro-Eelam meet called by the DMK has run into rough weather with city police refusing permission, forcing the party to change the venue of its much touted event, even as the Centre did a U-turn saying it had no objection to the word `Eelam` (separate homeland) being used.
A single judge of Madras High court had yesterday declined to hear a plea by Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisation, challenging the ban citing security reasons.
The matter will come up before a bench later in the day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31