Karuna condemns ban against entry of PMK founder
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Tuesday "strongly" condemned the ban against entry of PMK founder S Ramadoss into Madurai and Cuddalore districts, saying it was "anti-democratic".
"While it is fact that Ramadoss speaks beyond limits, it is condemnable that the (respective) district collectors issued orders banning his entry," Karunanidhi said in a party statement here.
It was `doubtful` if the officials had acted without state government support to take the `unilateral` decision, he said.
"I am afraid if we are living in free India; whether the fundamental rights (such as freedom of expression) enshrined in the constitution are being upheld," he said, expressing doubt if such action was meant to `intimidate` opposition ahead of Lok Sabha polls.
Referring to a slew of defamation cases slapped against opposition leaders including himself, he said those believing in democracy should ponder over if such action was fair.
"In a democracy, it is not proper for officials to take the law into their hands and ban the entry of specific leaders into their districts. I strongly condemn this anti-democratic act," he said.
Ramadoss had recently launched a forum of non-Dalit caste-based outfits to campaign for amendments to SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, to prevent its misuse and "protect women against fake inter-caste marriages".
On December 22, a Dalit organisation had filed a complaint with police seeking action against Ramadoss for his alleged derogatory remarks against Dalit youths.
Karunanidhi was locked in a war of words with Ramadoss on this matter. The district administration of Madurai and Cuddalore had recently banned the entry of Ramadoss to prevent law and order problems.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know