Karuna condemns ban against entry of PMK founder
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Tuesday "strongly" condemned the ban against entry of PMK founder S Ramadoss into Madurai and Cuddalore districts, saying it was "anti-democratic".
"While it is fact that Ramadoss speaks beyond limits, it is condemnable that the (respective) district collectors issued orders banning his entry," Karunanidhi said in a party statement here.
It was `doubtful` if the officials had acted without state government support to take the `unilateral` decision, he said.
"I am afraid if we are living in free India; whether the fundamental rights (such as freedom of expression) enshrined in the constitution are being upheld," he said, expressing doubt if such action was meant to `intimidate` opposition ahead of Lok Sabha polls.
Referring to a slew of defamation cases slapped against opposition leaders including himself, he said those believing in democracy should ponder over if such action was fair.
"In a democracy, it is not proper for officials to take the law into their hands and ban the entry of specific leaders into their districts. I strongly condemn this anti-democratic act," he said.
Ramadoss had recently launched a forum of non-Dalit caste-based outfits to campaign for amendments to SC/ST (Prevention of Atrocities) Act, 1989, to prevent its misuse and "protect women against fake inter-caste marriages".
On December 22, a Dalit organisation had filed a complaint with police seeking action against Ramadoss for his alleged derogatory remarks against Dalit youths.
Karunanidhi was locked in a war of words with Ramadoss on this matter. The district administration of Madurai and Cuddalore had recently banned the entry of Ramadoss to prevent law and order problems.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey