Karuna counters Jaya on power crisis
Chennai: Hitting back at his archrival and Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for accusing his previous government of doing little on power generation, DMK President M Karunanidhi on Saturday detailed the various efforts taken by his party in this regard.
In a letter to partymen here, Karunanidhi also said Jayalalithaa would be better off taking steps to address people`s issues rather than blame others.
Refuting her remarks that his government from 2006-11 did little towards power generation, he listed out the various projects taken up during that time including 600 mw each thermal power projects at Mettur and Ennore and another 800 mw power project at Udankudi among others.
Some of these were scheduled to go on steam in the coming months and he wondered whether these were not been taken up when he was Chief Minister.
He slammed Jayalalithaa for accusing DMK and Congress ministers with not taking up with the Centre the issue of additional power allocation to the state besides the transmission corridor congestion and asked how many times as Chief Minister had she met the Prime Minister to discuss these matters.
Need for corridor did not arise during his government as there was no power shortage like today, he said adding if she was aware of such a problem why did she ink an agreement with Gujarat for purchase of 500 mw of power when the state could realise only 235 mw.
"People have taken to the streets following 16 hours of power cut which is atrocious. Many manufacturing units have been closed down affecting scores of workers. So the ruling AIADMK should focus on addressing people`s issues rather than make useless charges against others. People won`t buy that for long," he warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city