Karuna counters Jaya on power crisis
Chennai: Hitting back at his archrival and Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa for accusing his previous government of doing little on power generation, DMK President M Karunanidhi on Saturday detailed the various efforts taken by his party in this regard.
In a letter to partymen here, Karunanidhi also said Jayalalithaa would be better off taking steps to address people`s issues rather than blame others.
Refuting her remarks that his government from 2006-11 did little towards power generation, he listed out the various projects taken up during that time including 600 mw each thermal power projects at Mettur and Ennore and another 800 mw power project at Udankudi among others.
Some of these were scheduled to go on steam in the coming months and he wondered whether these were not been taken up when he was Chief Minister.
He slammed Jayalalithaa for accusing DMK and Congress ministers with not taking up with the Centre the issue of additional power allocation to the state besides the transmission corridor congestion and asked how many times as Chief Minister had she met the Prime Minister to discuss these matters.
Need for corridor did not arise during his government as there was no power shortage like today, he said adding if she was aware of such a problem why did she ink an agreement with Gujarat for purchase of 500 mw of power when the state could realise only 235 mw.
"People have taken to the streets following 16 hours of power cut which is atrocious. Many manufacturing units have been closed down affecting scores of workers. So the ruling AIADMK should focus on addressing people`s issues rather than make useless charges against others. People won`t buy that for long," he warned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda