Karuna decries war memorial in Sri Lanka
Chennai: Slamming the building of a victory memorial in northern Sri Lanka as an "uncivilised act" by the island government to "deliberately hurt" sentiments of Tamils, DMK chief M Karunanidhi Tuesday said such memorials would not help the peace efforts claimed to have been taken up by Colombo.
"The memorial and war museum are uncivilised act of the Sri Lankan Government. These are not helpful to the peace efforts said to have been undertaken by the island government," he said in a statement here.
Referring to reports about the memorial and a war museum near the place where the final phase of war against LTTE was fought in 2009, he said, it was painful to know that hundreds of Sinhalese everyday visited the memorial, which had been "erected by the Rajapakasa Government with the deliberate intent to suppress Tamils."
"The government has erected the memorial at the place, where LTTE fought for 30 years and where innocent Tamils were killed," he said wondering whether such actions were aimed at uniting and ensuring the rehabilitation of the ethnic people.
Only to apprise bodies like the UN and international agencies the truth (about the situation in Sri Lanka), the recently held Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisations headed by him passed 14 resolutions, Karunanidhi said, adding, they would be submitted to the UN by senior party leaders MK Stalin and TR Baalu this month end.
He also questioned the Centre`s "silence" on a Sri Lankan Minister`s assertion that India would continue imparting training to the defence personnel from the island.
"Indian Government`s certain actions give rise to suspicion whether it was only keen on ensuring that it was one among the neutral countries in the world," he added.
He noted his party`s continued opposition for imparting military training to Sri Lankan personnel in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured