Karuna decries war memorial in Sri Lanka
Chennai: Slamming the building of a victory memorial in northern Sri Lanka as an "uncivilised act" by the island government to "deliberately hurt" sentiments of Tamils, DMK chief M Karunanidhi Tuesday said such memorials would not help the peace efforts claimed to have been taken up by Colombo.
"The memorial and war museum are uncivilised act of the Sri Lankan Government. These are not helpful to the peace efforts said to have been undertaken by the island government," he said in a statement here.
Referring to reports about the memorial and a war museum near the place where the final phase of war against LTTE was fought in 2009, he said, it was painful to know that hundreds of Sinhalese everyday visited the memorial, which had been "erected by the Rajapakasa Government with the deliberate intent to suppress Tamils."
"The government has erected the memorial at the place, where LTTE fought for 30 years and where innocent Tamils were killed," he said wondering whether such actions were aimed at uniting and ensuring the rehabilitation of the ethnic people.
Only to apprise bodies like the UN and international agencies the truth (about the situation in Sri Lanka), the recently held Tamil Eelam Supporters Organisations headed by him passed 14 resolutions, Karunanidhi said, adding, they would be submitted to the UN by senior party leaders MK Stalin and TR Baalu this month end.
He also questioned the Centre`s "silence" on a Sri Lankan Minister`s assertion that India would continue imparting training to the defence personnel from the island.
"Indian Government`s certain actions give rise to suspicion whether it was only keen on ensuring that it was one among the neutral countries in the world," he added.
He noted his party`s continued opposition for imparting military training to Sri Lankan personnel in India.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'