Karuna defends family presence in Tamil cinema industry
Chennai: Defending his family members presence
in Tamil film industry, Chief Minister M Karunanidhi on Friday
said children of famous stars including Rajnikanth and Kamal
Hassan had also taken to the same profession.
"I have written dialogues for more than 75 films including
those for MG Ramachandran and Sivaji Ganesan who were my very
good friends. It is well-known that I share a bond with most
actors and technicians," he said in a statement here.
Responding to a report critical of him in a vernacular
magazine, the 87 year-old DMK patriarch said those who were
targeting his relatives were doing so as "they could not stand
Karunanidhi`s two grandsons, Udhayanidhi Stalin and
Dhayanidi Alagiri besides his grandnephews, the Maran
brothers, own production houses which have produced movies
starring top Tamil stars.
"They have pointed out that my grandsons are involved in
movie production and how this was possible. Probably they are
unaware that the sons and grandsons of AV Meyyappa Chettiar (a
doyen of Tamil cinema) followed his footsteps in producing
movies while Sivaji Ganesan`s sons, Prabu and Ramkumar also
took to acting," he said.
The same was with the case of Rajnikant whose daughter
Soundarya is a producer while Kamal Hassan`s daughter Shruthy,
an actor, he said.
He also listed out various sops offered by the respective
DMK Governments for the benefit of the multi-crore rupee
Tamil cinema industry and asked "what are the heartburns
behind my sons or grandsons involved in film-making?
"Why is it being called as family politics if someone
from my family joins politics or imply an intention behind
them taking to cinema?" he asked.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145