Karuna disapproves of ban on pro-Tamil Eelam meeting
Chennai: DMK president M Karunanidhi on Sunday disapproved of government action of banning a pro-Tamil Eelam public meeting at Cuddalore besides clamping prohibitory orders preventing Dalit-based outfit Viduthalai Chiruthaigal Katchi leader Thol Thirumavalavan from attending events in Villupuram district.
"I have already issued statement against government rules and orders banning (meetings) and (persons`) entry into districts," he said in an apparent reference to his criticism of Madurai collector`s order banning entry of PMK founder S Ramadoss into the district earlier this year.
Cuddalore police had withdrawn permission granted to the `Naam Tamizhar Katchi` headed by film director Seeman to hold the meeting yesterday in support of the demand for separate Tamil Eelam as the organisers had violated certain conditions.
JKLF leader Yasin Malik, invited by Seeman for the meeting, extended his support for a separate homeland for the Tamils in Sri Lanka and said Eelam would become a reality.
Earlier, Villupuram district administration had clamped orders prohibiting Thirumavalavan from attending public or private meetings and functions in the district in the wake of the violence at Marakkanam in Villupuram district on April 25, allegedly targeting Dalits.
Speaking to reporters after chairing a meeting of party`s platform speakers here, Karunanidhi remained evasive on alliance and said, "I have insisted strongly on the need for alliance among us (DMK)," but did not elaborate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report