Karuna encroaching land behind his home: AIADMK
Chennai: The ruling AIADMK Monday charged DMK
chief M Karunanidhi with having encroached on some land behind his Gopalpuram residence and said legal action would be taken in this regard and in similar cases detected by the government
Local administration minister K P Munusamy said the piece of
land was a permanent 780 square foot structure housing rest
rooms for security guards, which was allotted to Karunanidhi in
1967 by way of a Corporation resolution.
Munnisamy said the land was assigned to Karunanidhi for Rs
3,250. However,on Karunanidhi`s request in 1969,the allotment
was cancelled and money was advised to be refunded, he said.
"Despite the cancellation, it is still in possession of
Karunanidhi. In 1978 he had requested reassigning the land but
no decision was taken by Chennai corporation," he said.
He said the civic body had adopted a resolution in 2003
seeking retrieval of the land for government use but no action
had been taken.
"This land continues to be used by Karunanidhi and we will
initiate all legal steps to retieve encroached land as well as
those which will be detected," he said, replying to a motion
moved by AIADMK legislator Vetrivel.
Munuswamy also said steps would be taken to retrieve land
allegedly encroached as part of DMKs headquarters `Anna
Arivalayam` after Vetrivel levelled a charge to this effect.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!