Karuna flays Jaya for rejecting CRA ruling
Chennai: Slamming Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for turning down Prime Minister Manmohan Singh-led Cauvery River Authority (CRA) ruling on water release, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday said such an act would be "construed" as if the state government does not trust the CRA.
"The state government could have demanded for more (than the 9,000 cusecs of water as directed by Singh) saying it was not sufficient. Or it could have said it would approach the Supreme Court."
"Instead, not accepting the Prime Minister`s ruling would be construed as if we don`t have trust in the CRA," he said replying to a set of questions in the party organ `Murasoli`.
The September 19 meeting of the CRA, convened by the Prime Minister following the Centre`s assurance in this regard to the Supreme Court, had failed to produce a solution with both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu rejecting his award of 9000 cusecs of water to save standing crops in the Delta region.
Jayalalithaa had called the meeting a "totally disappointing" one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price