Karuna flays Jaya for rejecting CRA ruling
Chennai: Slamming Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for turning down Prime Minister Manmohan Singh-led Cauvery River Authority (CRA) ruling on water release, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday said such an act would be "construed" as if the state government does not trust the CRA.
"The state government could have demanded for more (than the 9,000 cusecs of water as directed by Singh) saying it was not sufficient. Or it could have said it would approach the Supreme Court."
"Instead, not accepting the Prime Minister`s ruling would be construed as if we don`t have trust in the CRA," he said replying to a set of questions in the party organ `Murasoli`.
The September 19 meeting of the CRA, convened by the Prime Minister following the Centre`s assurance in this regard to the Supreme Court, had failed to produce a solution with both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu rejecting his award of 9000 cusecs of water to save standing crops in the Delta region.
Jayalalithaa had called the meeting a "totally disappointing" one.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- MCA lifts ban on Shah Rukh Khan from visting Wankhede staduim
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr