Karuna for protecting interests of farmers hit by GAIL
Chennai: DMK chief M Karunanidhi Wednesday urged the Tamil Nadu government to immediately take necessary steps to protect the interests of farmers affected by laying of pipeline by Gas Authority India Limited through their cultivable lands.
In a statement, Karunanidhi sought to focus the government`s attention to the issue, stating that despite Chief Minister Jayalalithaa urging GAIL for the removal of pipelines passing through farmers` lands in seven districts, no action has been taken in this regard.
He said that farmers from the area have been complaining that GAIL authorities have been maintaining an obdurate stand and were yet to remove those pipelines.
Chief Minister Jayalalithaa had on March 25 said that government has directed GAIL to lay the pipes on roadsides along the National Highways to ensure that farmers don`t lose their arable lands.
She had said, "To enable farmers carry on with their vocation, GAIL should remove pipes which have already been laid and provide compensation to those who have not been given it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- I-T department rejects declaration of Rs 2,00,000 crore made under IDS by Mumbai family