Karuna hits back at Jaya over Mullaperiyar dam issue
Chennai: In continuing war of words, DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday hit back at his arch rival and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa, accusing her of seeking to politicise the Mullaperiyar dam issue and asked her to focus on followup administrative actions to implement the Supreme Court order.
Reacting to Jayalalithaa`s statement yesterday asking him not to politicise the issue, the former chief minister said it was she who viewed everything from the prism of politics.
Joining issue with Karunanidhi over his remarks while welcoming the Supreme Court order allowing Tamil Nadu to increase water level in the century-old dam located in Kerala, Jayalalithaa had also attacked the previous DMK regime, saying it did nothing to settle the issue.
Kerala was insisting on a new dam to replace the existing one, citing safety concerns.
Recalling various steps taken during the DMK regime such as his visit to Thiruvananthapuram for talks with then Kerala Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan in 2000, Karunanidhi said as per an apex court order a seven-member expert committee was formed by the Centre comprising officials from both the states and it recommended increasing water level to 142 feet.
When the committee`s report was presented, Assembly elections were held in Tamil Nadu and there was a change of government (in 2001), he said.
"DMK Government had taken constructive efforts in the dam issue. Jayalalithaa, instead of seeking political mileage out of the issue, should consider it as a livelihood of farmers and as a drinking water problem of people. It will be good if at least hereafter she takes administrative steps", he said.
For more news in Malayalam, click www.zeemalayalam.com
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore