Karuna on `Eelam` war
Chennai: Often under attack for his alleged inability to end the armed conflict in 2009 between Sri Lankan forces and rebel LTTE, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Wednesday said that the ambit of state governments (he was Chief Minister then) in this connection was limited.
Responding to criticism in an opinion piece in a section of media, Karunanidhi also denied that Finance Minister P Chidambaram had recently asked the DMK chief to desist from using the phrase Eelam (separate nationhood) at a pro-Lankan Tamils conference here, when the two leaders met in Chennai.
"When there is a central government in a country (India) how can a state government intervene and resolve such issues. Those in the know of boundaries of political powers can realise this," he said responding to a set of questions in party organ ` Murasoli.`
Karunanidhi, chief minister in 2009 when the armed conflict peaked between government forces and LTTE, is often accused by his detractors of failing to ensure a ceasefire even as he went on an `indefinite fast` which he wound up within hours of starting it following Centre`s announcement of ceasing of hostilities in the island nation.
Karunanidhi however blamed his arch rival and chief minister Jayalalithaa when he recalled that she had passed a resolution in the state assembly demanding arrest and extradition of slain LTTE chief V Prabhakaran.
"She had also said that casualty was common in a war," he said.
As regards the TESO conference, he said Chidambaram only paid the usual visit to him everytime he made while in Chennai and described as "a lie" reports that the Finance Minister had advised him against resolving for a separate Eelam.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray