Karuna opposes English medium of instruction in govt schools
Chennai: Taking objection to Tamil Nadu Government`s recent decision to introduce English medium of instruction in state-run schools, DMK chief M Karunanidhi on Monday said education through a non-native language would obstruct students` self-learning.
"Education through native language alone would nurture self-learning in children. Education through non-native language would obstruct self-learning," he said, in a letter to his partymen.
Observing that Mahatma Gandhi and DMK founder Anna`s advocacy for education through native language, he said, English was not even a spoken language in many countries in the world.
"Private schools and government-run schools were equal, in terms of syllabus, after introducing Samacheer Kalvi (Uniform System of School Education).
Therefore, efforts should be made to improve the standards of government-run schools to bring them on par with private schools."
The 89-year old leader also listed out the steps the previous DMK regimes had taken towards the improving the standards of government schools and to widen the scope for Tamil language in the state education system.
School Education Minister Vaigaichelvan had last week informed the assembly about introduction of English medium in 640 government schools in 2012-13 academic year and expressed confidence that implementation of such schemes in rural areas will attract more students to government schools.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you